"Ah, to be 40 again..."

Yes, there's nothing like waking up on a nice, post-summer day with the morning sun and fresh air coming through an open window. So I roll over on to my side to take in the moment and enjoy the chance to just lie back, loudly and proudly evacuate... and think about what I'm going to do today.

Then it happens. The evacuation ventures forth with a nice, watery, good morning surprise. 

"Oh my God."

Quickly rolling over on to my stomach, I'm trying to figure out just how to get to the bathroom without smearing and dropping my "surprise" all over my freshly cleaned sheets and carpet. Cursing my once youthful ability to control such events, I can only imagine how it looked as I combined crawling with dragging my legs behind me as I slithered off to the bathroom and into the shower.  Is this a foreshadow of how the rest of my day is going to go? Upon returning to my bedroom to clean up my accident, I find Zeta sniffing things out, resulting in a look that says something like, "Ok, so are YOU going to spend the next few hours tied to the oven door?"

It's so nice being 53. I yearn for the days when all I had to worry about was my back nagging me when I got up in the morning. This little morning event is just one of the little side effects of one of the many medications I take. Which one is the culprit is anyone guess. I stopped reading those panels on the documentation stapled to the bag years ago. 

Oh yeah... today I have to set up an appointment for my annual eye exam. Another reminder that I'm no longer "40". It was nice being able to simply have  ONE pair of glasses and a pretty variable focal range. Now, I seem to need 6 or so pairs of glasses; one pair for general use, one for reading, one for when I'm at my computer, another for cutting vegetables, another yet for trimming my now disgusting, yellow toenails...

And I'm cold. I used to brag about how I'd keep the thermostat at around 68. Now I'm shivering unless it's at least 72, and that number is rising. Jacket weather stretched out until the end of November. Now, it's Mid October and I don't go out the door unless I'm wearing 6 layers of clothing and a heavy coat. I used to fall in snow and laugh my ass off with an unbroken spirit. Now I fall in the snow and cry my eyes out from a broken hip. *Sigh*

Friday nights were always spent whooping it up in a bar and getting a kick out of some cute young thing giving me a wink and a smile. Now, it's CVS Pharmacy and the wink and smile is coming from a 60 year old. *Shiver*

Oh well. Looking back I can vividly remember anticipating turning 17 to get my driver's licence - or 18 to drink beer. Instead, now I can look forward to being able to live in Leisure Village and receiving Senior Citizen Discounts.

But you know something? I don't really mind. Because aside from a few very close youthful friends, most of you are right there along side me, no stranger to what I've written here. And that my friends, I wouldn't trade even for the Fountain of Youth. 

Comments