I downloaded the entire five seasons of Boston Legal to watch in succession from beginning to end. During the course of five years, the writers and cast of the program covered a wide span of subjects dealing with moral conduct and constitutionality stemming from the deadly serious to the ridiculous. The formula of the show was that while they were using the individual cases to sensationalize and demonstrate their point, you found that the real heart of the story - and the very answer to the conflict lies within the characters themselves.
At it's heart were different people coming from different backgrounds and upbringings all coming together in one building to take on either city hall or a corrupt corporation on behalf of some poor oppressed soul, or someone who believed they were simply wronged. Each character was colorful in their own way, and I do mean colorful. But at the end of the show, it always boiled down to the two main characters, Denny Crane and Alan Shore sharing a scotch and a cigar on Denny's office balcony. These two friends in so many ways couldn't be more diametrically opposed in their views and morals. But no matter how differently they saw things... saw life, their friendship always triumphed.
One of the most interesting characters, Jerry Espinson said, "Friendships are a lot like back yard gardens. We plan to tend to them. We just always seem to put it off 'til next week." How sad that is. And true, I'm ashamed to say. We all do it. Maybe not intentionally, but we all do it none the less. And the biggest thing I came away with from this wonderful show was the simple fact that each and every episode ended with that shared scotch and cigar on that balcony. It was something you could depend on.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could all relax at the end of the day - no matter what happened, or how much we argued with each other and had that scotch and cigar with a close and trusted friend each and every day without fail. I know that I would be a better person for it.
I think I'll make it a point to work on my garden a little harder.
At it's heart were different people coming from different backgrounds and upbringings all coming together in one building to take on either city hall or a corrupt corporation on behalf of some poor oppressed soul, or someone who believed they were simply wronged. Each character was colorful in their own way, and I do mean colorful. But at the end of the show, it always boiled down to the two main characters, Denny Crane and Alan Shore sharing a scotch and a cigar on Denny's office balcony. These two friends in so many ways couldn't be more diametrically opposed in their views and morals. But no matter how differently they saw things... saw life, their friendship always triumphed.
One of the most interesting characters, Jerry Espinson said, "Friendships are a lot like back yard gardens. We plan to tend to them. We just always seem to put it off 'til next week." How sad that is. And true, I'm ashamed to say. We all do it. Maybe not intentionally, but we all do it none the less. And the biggest thing I came away with from this wonderful show was the simple fact that each and every episode ended with that shared scotch and cigar on that balcony. It was something you could depend on.
Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could all relax at the end of the day - no matter what happened, or how much we argued with each other and had that scotch and cigar with a close and trusted friend each and every day without fail. I know that I would be a better person for it.
I think I'll make it a point to work on my garden a little harder.
Well said!
ReplyDelete