Dear Lefty,

As you mostly all know, I'll be undergoing surgery on my elbow to correct a condition called Cubital Tunnel Syndrome - a condition that has cost me the use of my left hand. So while I'm awaiting the surgery, I thought I'd express to my left hand just what it's meant to me all of these years, and I wanted to share this with you all.
Thanks for reading.

Dear Lefty,
I just wanted you to know that I'm pulling with... uh, for you. I've missed you these past three months. I need you to know how important you are to me, even though it seems that I favor Righty for so many things.

Please understand that Righty is strictly my work partner. Righty can write, sometimes draw. Righty can deal with detail in such a way that I will continue to use his services, especially with music. But YOU are always there to hold up the bottom. And, you are always there for me in a supportive way working the controls that make Righty sound so good. It really means a lot to me to see you both working in tandem - working together for one common goal. But you have to know how wonderful you are at holding down a lush chord on a Mellowtron sound, or sliding up the keyboard on a B3 - again to support and accent what Righty is doing. Without you, Righty would be very dull and unexpressive.

I know it seems unfair that I mostly take Righty out to dinner. But I have to say that this feels very natural to me, and it just can't be any other way. I've tried to take you out to dinner but all you do is poke me in the face and drop food on my lap. It's just not the same.

But there are advantages. Afterward, who is it that does all the uh... cleaning up? And you know exactly what I mean. That's right. It's Righty. I'd never put you in that position. That's why you get to hang there and snicker every time I shake hands with anyone.

But I try to make up for that lack of attention with other things like, driving for example. It's you that gets be lazy and just hang around while Righty does all the work. Sometimes you get to enjoy a nice breeze and feel the wind on your hair through the open window... perhaps point at something interesting - something Righty NEVER gets the chance to do.

Whenever I type, you are both there together, working side by side. It really warms my heart to see that. Now, don't tell Righty, but always know that you have the coolest letters. Really! Come on... Q? Z? wersdferbvcx? Oh man, what would I do without you on those! Righty can't begin to hit those like you do.

But let's get down to it, shall we? Who is it I turn to when I'm lonely? You. It's always been you. Oh, I confess that I've strayed and tried Righty on a few occasions, but it's just not the same. Who takes you for those long walks on the beach? Who loves you? It's always been you... you and your fuzzy little palm. I do feel that I should tell you that while you've been asleep for these past three months, I've employed your services without you really knowing about it, so I hope you don't mind. I realize that it's a bit necrophilistic, but I confess that it was like cheating without cheating... kind of interesting, actually. I hope your not offended.

So good luck with the surgery. I'm told it's a walk in the park.
Oh my... there go those feelings for you again...

Can't wait to have you back,
Chris

Comments