My father and I had many arguments, but not one as ongoing as the one regarding movies. The stubborn old bastard insisted that all movies now-a-days suck (by his reckoning, anything from about 1970 on). I used to rib him by strolling by the set by saying, "Oooh... a talkie!" There were some exceptions like, M*A*S*H, Patton and the much later two Grumpy Old Men movies. Oh yeah, he liked Blazing Saddles strictly because of the fart scene - which was the extant of his humor. Otherwise, his taste seldom included anything in color.
My viewpoint was completely the opposite. Anything from the Silver Screen era was inaccurate, poorly acted and ridiculous. Or, to use the vernacular, complete shit. You could see how equally broad minded I was in my youth.
But in reality, you have to chalk up a point or two for my side of the argument. Acting for a large percentage of the movie pool was really poor by today's standards. Everyone over-acted. Language was pristine. And this one always pissed me off - the fact that every child under the age of 18 or so always said stupid things like, "Golly-gee, Mister Withers!" while swinging his fist in an arc in front of him. I swear, anytime a kid opened his mouth in one of those old movies I just want to puke my guts out, not that today's youth is any better using the 'F' word in every other sentence.
Even Cary Grant - who made some pretty good movies in my opinion, would come out with a line so trite and sappy. An example being An Affair to Remember with Deborah Karr where he says, "If it had to be one of us, why did it have to be you?" Oh, Please.
But looking back as I get older and enter my dad's realm of Grumpy Old Men, God forgive me... there's actually something of truth to both sides of this classic argument. The movie industry is seven times that it was in the first half of the previous century and the largest percentage of our prime export (movies & entertainment) is utter crap, to be fair. And likewise, even though most "pre-me" movies contain laughable acting and unrealistic dialog there were some really great gems that sprang out of that time.
So, I conclude this argument with my recommendation for this week's viewing pleasure. Two movies - one from the past and one more recent.
My choice pick for movie of the past is "The Court Jester" starring Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, and Angela Lansbury. You might recognize very young Glynis Johns as the actress that played the mother in Mary Poppins. And for me, it's difficult to see Angela Lasbury as anything but old. But this movie is a classic. From the incomparable Danny Kay with his rapier wit, to the cleverly written dialog ("The flagon with the dragon has the pellet with the poison - the challis with the palace has the brew that is true.") and song lyrics. For any of you that haven't seen this movie... or haven't for a long time, it's a must see.
For my more present choice, I recommend the surprise of 2009, "World's Greatest Dad" Surprise not because of the incredible Robin Williams, but the shockingly good writing and direction by none other than Bob Goldtwait - yes, Bob Goldthwait. If you look up the definition of Black Comedy, you'll find this movie as an example. It's slow to get going, but the biggest reason to watch this flick is that you wonder how something so thoughtful and artistic can come from Bobcat Goldthwait. Williams is not his usual hysterical self, but rather the other side of him that is deep and complex. This movie is a sleeper to say the very least and in more ways that one. But I felt strangely gratified after watching it which is the reason that I'm recommending this one as a must see.
Miss you, Dad. Hope you have someone to argue with up there. If not, hang in there - I'm right behind you.
Make some pop-corn and enjoy, everyone.
My viewpoint was completely the opposite. Anything from the Silver Screen era was inaccurate, poorly acted and ridiculous. Or, to use the vernacular, complete shit. You could see how equally broad minded I was in my youth.
But in reality, you have to chalk up a point or two for my side of the argument. Acting for a large percentage of the movie pool was really poor by today's standards. Everyone over-acted. Language was pristine. And this one always pissed me off - the fact that every child under the age of 18 or so always said stupid things like, "Golly-gee, Mister Withers!" while swinging his fist in an arc in front of him. I swear, anytime a kid opened his mouth in one of those old movies I just want to puke my guts out, not that today's youth is any better using the 'F' word in every other sentence.
Even Cary Grant - who made some pretty good movies in my opinion, would come out with a line so trite and sappy. An example being An Affair to Remember with Deborah Karr where he says, "If it had to be one of us, why did it have to be you?" Oh, Please.
But looking back as I get older and enter my dad's realm of Grumpy Old Men, God forgive me... there's actually something of truth to both sides of this classic argument. The movie industry is seven times that it was in the first half of the previous century and the largest percentage of our prime export (movies & entertainment) is utter crap, to be fair. And likewise, even though most "pre-me" movies contain laughable acting and unrealistic dialog there were some really great gems that sprang out of that time.
So, I conclude this argument with my recommendation for this week's viewing pleasure. Two movies - one from the past and one more recent.
My choice pick for movie of the past is "The Court Jester" starring Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, and Angela Lansbury. You might recognize very young Glynis Johns as the actress that played the mother in Mary Poppins. And for me, it's difficult to see Angela Lasbury as anything but old. But this movie is a classic. From the incomparable Danny Kay with his rapier wit, to the cleverly written dialog ("The flagon with the dragon has the pellet with the poison - the challis with the palace has the brew that is true.") and song lyrics. For any of you that haven't seen this movie... or haven't for a long time, it's a must see.
For my more present choice, I recommend the surprise of 2009, "World's Greatest Dad" Surprise not because of the incredible Robin Williams, but the shockingly good writing and direction by none other than Bob Goldtwait - yes, Bob Goldthwait. If you look up the definition of Black Comedy, you'll find this movie as an example. It's slow to get going, but the biggest reason to watch this flick is that you wonder how something so thoughtful and artistic can come from Bobcat Goldthwait. Williams is not his usual hysterical self, but rather the other side of him that is deep and complex. This movie is a sleeper to say the very least and in more ways that one. But I felt strangely gratified after watching it which is the reason that I'm recommending this one as a must see.
Miss you, Dad. Hope you have someone to argue with up there. If not, hang in there - I'm right behind you.
Make some pop-corn and enjoy, everyone.
Comments
Post a Comment