I was actually having a hard time coming up with a way to start this post. But after looking at the list of you that get my alert to a new blog, I realized that most of you prefer a certain type of movie entertainment. I know what you all like. I talk to all of you about movies all the time. And the simple fact is that most of you like things like blood, guts, vampires, rape, murder, mayhem, mass destruction, you know - something good for the whole family. And if anyone on the screen kicks a cute little kitty and sends it's boot-crushed posterior sailing a city block, you're all in absolute hysterics. When sitting in a movie theater and seven people in close proximity of me puke up their popcorn and coke before half the move is up, I consider that a BAD thing, not "...man that was COOL!"
So why do I even bother with the sadistic lot that you are? Because I'm a sap. Ok, I admit it. I LIKE a happy movie. I LIKE feeling warm and fuzzy. And this week's warm and fuzzy is It Could Happen to You starring Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda. It's the story of a cop in New York City that hits the lottery and gives a waitress he doesn't even know half of it - two million bucks. The story is completely predictable. The acting is what you'd expect from the two stars, but nothing earth shattering - except perhaps Rosie Perez's portrayal of Nicolas Cage's wife - a self centered, greedy little parasite of a woman. Her New York Latino accent is so thick I had a hard time making out what she was saying. She was a terrific supporting actress.
The main character played by Nicolas Cage is a really good honest guy - always thinking of others first. Bridget Fonda's character is nice girl working an honest job struggling to make ends meet. She's married, but separated because she couldn't afford a devoirs. And of course, they fall in love and end up together, yadda yadda yadda... the end. I know, pure SAP. But during these times, I happen to LIKE the idea of someone who actually cares about other people. I actually LIKE the idea that sometimes, good guys DON'T finish last and that sometimes two people really can live happily ever after. I like the idea that what goes around comes around and people get what they deserve.
All I've probably done is convince you that THIS MOVIE is what will readily make you puke. But I'm an incurable optimist. And like Frank sings in the main song of the movie, "Fairy tales can come true, It Could Happen to You... if you're very young at heart." Yeah. I'm a sap. And I'm still waiting for my happily ever after. "After all, tomorrow is another day."
I know, I know. Shrek's probably right. What a load of crap.
So why do I even bother with the sadistic lot that you are? Because I'm a sap. Ok, I admit it. I LIKE a happy movie. I LIKE feeling warm and fuzzy. And this week's warm and fuzzy is It Could Happen to You starring Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda. It's the story of a cop in New York City that hits the lottery and gives a waitress he doesn't even know half of it - two million bucks. The story is completely predictable. The acting is what you'd expect from the two stars, but nothing earth shattering - except perhaps Rosie Perez's portrayal of Nicolas Cage's wife - a self centered, greedy little parasite of a woman. Her New York Latino accent is so thick I had a hard time making out what she was saying. She was a terrific supporting actress.
The main character played by Nicolas Cage is a really good honest guy - always thinking of others first. Bridget Fonda's character is nice girl working an honest job struggling to make ends meet. She's married, but separated because she couldn't afford a devoirs. And of course, they fall in love and end up together, yadda yadda yadda... the end. I know, pure SAP. But during these times, I happen to LIKE the idea of someone who actually cares about other people. I actually LIKE the idea that sometimes, good guys DON'T finish last and that sometimes two people really can live happily ever after. I like the idea that what goes around comes around and people get what they deserve.
All I've probably done is convince you that THIS MOVIE is what will readily make you puke. But I'm an incurable optimist. And like Frank sings in the main song of the movie, "Fairy tales can come true, It Could Happen to You... if you're very young at heart." Yeah. I'm a sap. And I'm still waiting for my happily ever after. "After all, tomorrow is another day."
I know, I know. Shrek's probably right. What a load of crap.
Comments
Post a Comment