I'm sure you've all heard the old adage of when we assume... but I won't bore you with that now. But I would like to tell you about something that happened to me one day on my way to band rehearsal.
When I go to rehearsal, I often stop at a convenience store or anyplace I can pick up a beverage to bring with me. In this case, it was a Walgreens on Route 9 North. I entered the store and went directly to the refrigerator section and procured my beverage. I proceeded to the checkout where a cashier of Indian decent (we're talking dots, not feathers. No disrespect - just clarification), was just finishing with a customer. He shut the cash register drawer, looked up at me and pointed to a nearby wrack of brownies.
"You want brownie?" he asked with enthusiasm.
Horrified, I rapidly responded in a deep, booming loud voice so that everyone in the store could hear me, "Does it LOOK like the fat guy wants a brownie?!"
The cashier's eyes went to huge white orbs with pupils the size of pinheads as he shrunk down behind the counter to about two and a half inches tall. Then, slowly he returned to normal size and quickly finished the transaction.
The two customers behind me were still rolling in mirth as I exited the store. I was both irritated and amused at the same time. I could understand if I was in a Mom and Pop sort of store where the owner's personal income can be improved by pushing certain special items. But a Walgreens? What does the cashier care about the sale of a particular item, especially brownies? I couldn't figure out the cashier's insulting solicitation.
I arrived at rehearsal and told my band mate there what had just happened. As I finished, his son apparently over hearing my story entered the room and said, "It's a promotion"
"What?" I asked sheepishly.
"A promotion," he repeated. "The cashiers are required to ask everyone if they would like to buy a brownie, or the customer gets the brownie for free. You know, a promotion." he said as-a-matter-of-factly.
They both watched in amusement as MY eyes went to huge, white orbs with pupils the size of pinheads as I shrunk to about two and a half inches tall...
Well, there you have it. What I thought was the cashier's insulting assumption had actually been my own. Lesson learned.
After rehearsal, I stopped by the very same Walgreens and picked up a brownie for the ride home. ;)
When I go to rehearsal, I often stop at a convenience store or anyplace I can pick up a beverage to bring with me. In this case, it was a Walgreens on Route 9 North. I entered the store and went directly to the refrigerator section and procured my beverage. I proceeded to the checkout where a cashier of Indian decent (we're talking dots, not feathers. No disrespect - just clarification), was just finishing with a customer. He shut the cash register drawer, looked up at me and pointed to a nearby wrack of brownies.
"You want brownie?" he asked with enthusiasm.
Horrified, I rapidly responded in a deep, booming loud voice so that everyone in the store could hear me, "Does it LOOK like the fat guy wants a brownie?!"
The cashier's eyes went to huge white orbs with pupils the size of pinheads as he shrunk down behind the counter to about two and a half inches tall. Then, slowly he returned to normal size and quickly finished the transaction.
The two customers behind me were still rolling in mirth as I exited the store. I was both irritated and amused at the same time. I could understand if I was in a Mom and Pop sort of store where the owner's personal income can be improved by pushing certain special items. But a Walgreens? What does the cashier care about the sale of a particular item, especially brownies? I couldn't figure out the cashier's insulting solicitation.
I arrived at rehearsal and told my band mate there what had just happened. As I finished, his son apparently over hearing my story entered the room and said, "It's a promotion"
"What?" I asked sheepishly.
"A promotion," he repeated. "The cashiers are required to ask everyone if they would like to buy a brownie, or the customer gets the brownie for free. You know, a promotion." he said as-a-matter-of-factly.
They both watched in amusement as MY eyes went to huge, white orbs with pupils the size of pinheads as I shrunk to about two and a half inches tall...
Well, there you have it. What I thought was the cashier's insulting assumption had actually been my own. Lesson learned.
After rehearsal, I stopped by the very same Walgreens and picked up a brownie for the ride home. ;)
Comments
Post a Comment