Another one. I just can't believe we've lost another child actor to [apparent] drug abuse. Cory Haim (Lucas, Lost Boys) died last night at the age of 38. He had a history of drug abuse, but was trying to clean up his act recently. At the time of his death, he was suffering flu-like symptoms and was taking prescription as well as over-the-counter drugs. The autopsy is yet to tell us the actual cause of death but we all know what's coming there.
It just pains me so much to see one after another go this way. Everyone has their difficulties. We all have our burdens to bare. I've had my share of bad hands dealt to me, some would say that I dealt some of them to myself. That's fine, and they might be right. But I've always tried to be civil and I've always tried to be optimistic regarding my future. I don't do drugs and I don't drink, especially as a reaction to what's happening in my life. It's a path that I've chosen, and I walk it regardless. But not everyone deals with stress and bad times the same way I do. Too many turn to alcohol and drugs in an effort to escape these daily trials. They sink into a depression and regard life as hopeless.
I wish I could do something about this. If I could leave a legacy, that would be it. I wish I could get through to some of today's youth and get them to see that life is never hopeless. No matter what happens in your life... no matter WHAT - it could all change tomorrow. Everything. Tomorrow. Drugs, Alcohol, suicide - which in my opinion are all variations of the same thing - are permanent solutions to a temporary problem.
Music has always been a guiding force in my life - a major influence that has affected every aspect of my being. I consider myself fortunate to have grown up in the seventies where music made particularly important strides, such as it were in progressive rock where record companies allowed their artists to try something different without any corporate executives breathing down their necks telling them what to play and how it is to be produced. The result was a great deal of new, creative thinking that put forth a positive attitude, instilling in the youth of the day that your dreams make a difference... that YOU can make a difference - especially in your own destiny - your OWN life. I was lucky to have that influence.
But when I see and hear what our youth is listening to today... well, it just seems so dark in comparison. Goth. Dressing in all black. I realize that there are those that would tell me that's way yesterday, but they're still out there. And Emo. Same thing, different T-shirt. Depressing. Hopeless. What's the point of living? Life is hard. Life is unfair. Nothing makes a difference, so why try? No one understands me. Some would tell me that I'm wrong here, but it just seems to me that every time I try to listen to some of today's music, that's all I hear.
It just shouldn't be so hard to be positive. It shouldn't be so damn difficult for our kids to wake up and say, "Man, today's gonna be a GREAT day. I got LOTS to do!" Why the hell not? If a kid ever came out and said that, I think even most PARENTS today would look at them and think, "Ok... what's wrong with HIM??"
And when I think of that... I just can't help think that the very attitude of today's youth is leading them to drugs... another drink... and hence, six feet under.
Another one.
Perhaps one day, my musical talent will allow me to stand up on a stage and make a difference with today's youth. Not a bad goal. If I can use music to get through to just a few of these troubled kids today... and help them see that the world is their oyster... that life is what you make it... If I could just turn the tide of a few... Well, it would certainly be a nice accomplishment.
It just pains me so much to see one after another go this way. Everyone has their difficulties. We all have our burdens to bare. I've had my share of bad hands dealt to me, some would say that I dealt some of them to myself. That's fine, and they might be right. But I've always tried to be civil and I've always tried to be optimistic regarding my future. I don't do drugs and I don't drink, especially as a reaction to what's happening in my life. It's a path that I've chosen, and I walk it regardless. But not everyone deals with stress and bad times the same way I do. Too many turn to alcohol and drugs in an effort to escape these daily trials. They sink into a depression and regard life as hopeless.
I wish I could do something about this. If I could leave a legacy, that would be it. I wish I could get through to some of today's youth and get them to see that life is never hopeless. No matter what happens in your life... no matter WHAT - it could all change tomorrow. Everything. Tomorrow. Drugs, Alcohol, suicide - which in my opinion are all variations of the same thing - are permanent solutions to a temporary problem.
Music has always been a guiding force in my life - a major influence that has affected every aspect of my being. I consider myself fortunate to have grown up in the seventies where music made particularly important strides, such as it were in progressive rock where record companies allowed their artists to try something different without any corporate executives breathing down their necks telling them what to play and how it is to be produced. The result was a great deal of new, creative thinking that put forth a positive attitude, instilling in the youth of the day that your dreams make a difference... that YOU can make a difference - especially in your own destiny - your OWN life. I was lucky to have that influence.
But when I see and hear what our youth is listening to today... well, it just seems so dark in comparison. Goth. Dressing in all black. I realize that there are those that would tell me that's way yesterday, but they're still out there. And Emo. Same thing, different T-shirt. Depressing. Hopeless. What's the point of living? Life is hard. Life is unfair. Nothing makes a difference, so why try? No one understands me. Some would tell me that I'm wrong here, but it just seems to me that every time I try to listen to some of today's music, that's all I hear.
It just shouldn't be so hard to be positive. It shouldn't be so damn difficult for our kids to wake up and say, "Man, today's gonna be a GREAT day. I got LOTS to do!" Why the hell not? If a kid ever came out and said that, I think even most PARENTS today would look at them and think, "Ok... what's wrong with HIM??"
And when I think of that... I just can't help think that the very attitude of today's youth is leading them to drugs... another drink... and hence, six feet under.
Another one.
Perhaps one day, my musical talent will allow me to stand up on a stage and make a difference with today's youth. Not a bad goal. If I can use music to get through to just a few of these troubled kids today... and help them see that the world is their oyster... that life is what you make it... If I could just turn the tide of a few... Well, it would certainly be a nice accomplishment.
Sad to see indeed, yet your thoughts on it are encouraging and inspiring. Good post Chris.
ReplyDeleteWell said! It's actually an original thing nowadays to write music with a positive, uplifting message! It's needed now, more than ever!
ReplyDelete